We have launched a bold, new public/private initiative to build a modernized county animal shelter that will model best practices for animal sheltering in Greenwood County.
Public and private sector leaders realized we can no longer “just sit here and ignore the problem.” In order for our community to have a controlled dog and cat population with a steady and significant reduction in the number of homeless animals, we must support a strong organization willing to address the issue directly. While Greenwood County will be funding the construction of the new animal shelter, financial support for the Humane Society of Greenwood via Unleash the Possibilities will:
- Allow the Humane Society to meet the “Guidelines for Standards of Care in Animals Shelters,” as published by the Association of Shelter Veterinarians;
- Allow for appropriate animal and employee traffic flow minimizing the spread of illness;
- Accommodate proper separation of animals: dogs from cats, sick from healthy, aggressive from general population, and a quarantine ward to meet Department of Health and Environmental Control and state regulations;
- Comply with OSHA standards for shelters, reducing waste runoff and odors that affect the surrounding community;
- Provide adequate space for those visiting and considering to adopt a pet;
- Resolve overpopulation in the community through a low cost Spay/Neuter clinic;
- Create awareness and develop solutions that will save lives with the new Education Center;
- Improve the quality of life for animals during their stay and the staff who care for them.
Greenwood County’s most prominent business and civic leaders are investing substantial time and financial resources in the project because they consider this to be critical to the health, economic future and the overall impression of our county.
Unleash the Possibilities is a five year initiative to secure the needed funding to support our new construction costs and to continue our important efforts with respect to adoption, rescue, foster care, spay/neuter and community education programming. We invite you to participate in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for our community. Please download and read through the campaign brochure, FAQs, and commitment form. Below are the naming opportunities for gifts, including those which have already been reserved. Please contact us at 864.223.2498 to schedule an appointment for more information and an update on the project.
View the list of generous donors who have already committed to give to
this important campaign effort